A Brief History
Despite not appearing on many maps, Onehouse has a long history – one of the earliest references is in the Domesday book. Until the 1950’s it was a scattering of some dozen houses along Lower Road and about 15 houses on Upper Road with another 5 on Union Road leading to Stowmarket. The Church of St John The Baptist sat in the fields midway between Lower and Upper Road. By the 1970’s housing development had begun but there are still people in the village who remember streams and ditches where houses and roads now stand. With the major build of 150 houses in the 70’s Upper Road became Forest Road and the Northfield Estate came into being.
With thanks to Ron Cruickshanks, see more on our local history page.